All Things Bubba

Because how can you not love a baseball player named "Bubba"?

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Hanging 'em up?


MLB sources: Former @RiceBaseball star Paul Janish,who has played for Reds,Braves& @Orioles,expected to join Owls staff following 2017season pic.twitter.com/hDGw8VZDhP

— Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) August 10, 2017

I'm not surprised he's contemplating retirement. He’s been talking about the end of his playing career for awhile now. I was planning to go see the Tides in Rochester this weekend, in part because I suspected it might be my last chance to see him play.

But I am surprised he's returning to Rice. I was expecting him to join the Baltimore Orioles minor league coaching staff. Buck Showalter said he wanted Janish as a coach when he retired, and Janish seemed happy at the idea. I guess Rice would be a more appealing option to a guy with three little kids. Less travel, and family around to help out.

I am disappointed that it's looking like Janish won't be on the big league roster for Player's Weekend. I wonder what name he would choose? Maybe "Soft-J," the nickname given to him in Cincinnati?

Tony Cingrani, now a Dodger, is going with "Grani." Tyler Duffey is "The Doof." Brock Holt is "Brock Star." Anthony Rendon is "Ant." At least they didn't go with their real first or last names, like a lot of players did.


Labels: , , , ,

posted by BubbaFan, 11:59 PM

0 Comments:


Add a comment