All Things Bubba

Because how can you not love a baseball player named "Bubba"?

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Waiting on Irene


A variable message board along the highway


The city that never sleeps is coming to a virtual standstill. The entire public transportation system - buses, subways, commuter rail - will be shut down.

I am not in the NYC area, but I made some preparations, just in case. Storm surge won't be an issue for me, but the wind and heavy rains could mean power outages - that last for days or weeks, not just hours. Though I'm hoping it won't come to that.

I went out early this morning - about 6 am - to get some supplies. I filled up the gas tank (refineries are closing due to the hurricane), and got some cash from the ATM (power outages might mean credit cards don't work). I also stopped by the grocery store to get some nonperishable food that doesn't need cooking.

Usually that early on a Saturday, I'm the only one in the store. Not today. It was mobbed. It's a good thing I was already stocked up on batteries, candles, and flashlights, because the shelves were bare.

Little AAA batteries were still available, but the all the C and D batteries were gone.


The bottled water section had also been denuded. I have a shelf full of bottled water already, so I didn't need any. And heck, you can just fill up some empty soda bottles from the tap.

I think I got the last two cans of vienna sausage in the store. The large jars of peanut butter were gone; they had only little ones left.

I still have to clean up my back deck - take in or tie down the patio furniture, and bring in the flower pots so they don't become missiles. Other than that, I'm about as ready I'll ever be.

posted by BubbaFan, 10:35 AM

0 Comments:


Add a comment