All Things Bubba

Because how can you not love a baseball player named "Bubba"?

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Andy Phillips, mentor


The Montgomery Advertiser has a little mention of Andy Phillips. It's about a high school player, Blake Barrow, whom Andy helped get into college.

"It was disappointing, you could say, with us going into the playoffs ranked No. 1 in the state. We got upset by Slocumb. I'm trying to take it as a positive for me personally because it led me to where I'm going to be attending college."

Explain, please.

"After we lost, we competed in an FCA tournament. At the banquet for that tournament, Andy Phillips, an assistant coach at Alabama, was the speaker. After it was over, I went up to him to thank him for coming. We talked, he asked me where I was going to school. He said he'd call Meridian Community College for me if I wanted. I did, and the next day the coach at Meridian called me."

Sounds like Andy's making an impact in his new career. (And now he's "an assistant coach at Alabama," not a "former Yankee.")

Good on ya, Andy.

Labels:

posted by BubbaFan, 8:43 AM

0 Comments:


Add a comment