All Things Bubba

Because how can you not love a baseball player named "Bubba"?

Friday, February 19, 2010

A new season begins


Pitchers and catchers have reported for almost all teams; the new season is officially underway. Hard to believe, with all the snow on the ground.

Chien-Ming Wang signed with the Nationals.


Man, I never expected Wang and the Yankees would part ways so soon. He was my favorite Yankee not named Bubba.

I wonder if he'll rehab with Syracuse, the Nats' AAA club. Syracuse comes to Scranton early in the season - April 14-16. I'd like to see him pitch again. Though he may not be ready by then, or they may prefer that he rehab in a warmer locale.

Ron Villone has also signed with the Nats. Jason Lane signed wtih the Marlins, and Paul Bush has re-signed with the Yanks.

Reds beat writer John Fay talked to Paul Janish about losing the starting SS job.

Paul Janish and Jay Bruce arrived this morning. I asked Janish about the signing of Orlando Cabrera:

“I spent the whole offseason thinking I was going to get a chance. More than anything, it’s a change in mentality. Obviously, I thought I was going to be the everyday guy. Now, I’ve got to go back into the utility role. That’s going to be the role.

“It is what it is. I’ve got to go back to focusing on spring training and being part of the club.”

It was a little disheartening. But, at the same time, if you asked me in November if they were going to sign somebody, I would have said yeah. The fact that it happened so late is a little different.

“Anything to make the team better. We’re all on the same page.”

Sigh. I know Fay has to ask, and Janish has to answer (and he said all the right things). But it seems cruel to ask him about what must be a huge disappointment.

On a lighter note, check out this quilt. It was made by baseball fan Clara Schmitt Rothmeier. She was the daughter of a minor league player with the Pittsburgh Pirates, and a softball player herself. She took up sewing as something to do while on the road with her team. She created portraits of her favorite players on fabric, had them autographed, and sewed them into a quilt.

Labels:

posted by BubbaFan, 10:32 PM

0 Comments:


Add a comment