All Things Bubba

Because how can you not love a baseball player named "Bubba"?

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Charlotte at SWB, May 15, 2009 - Game 1




Thursday's game was rained out, which meant a doubleheader on Friday. Apparently, the reason it took them so long to call the game was that Charlotte really didn't want to play a doubleheader Friday. It was getaway day for them, and they didn't want to hang around to play two. Therefore, the doubleheader started at 5:30pm - early even for a doubleheader. With each game only 7 innings (as is usually the case with minor league doubleheaders), the Knights should be able to leave town on time.

The early start time meant I would have to leave work early to get there on time. I wasn't sure I'd be able to get off early, so I didn't trade my raincheck for the doubleheader. Turns out, I was able to get the time off. There were no lower deck tickets available at game time, though. The first time this year that that happened. Probably because it was a doubleheader, and a Friday night (which means free fireworks after the game).

So I had to sit in the upper deck. I wasn't expecting that, so didn't have my really long lens. My photos aren't that great, but I'm posting a few anyway. ;-)

Andy Phillips before the game started:


You can really see the blond and red highlights in his hair.

Eh. Save your money for your daughter's education, Andy. You don't need highlights.

George Kontos started for SWB.


Carlos Torres started for Charlotte:


SWB scored in the bottom of the first. Austin Jackson walked, then Shelley Duncan hit a double:


Right fielder Josh Kroeger fields Duncan's double:


Austin Jackson scored from 1B.


Andy Phililps was 0 for 2 with a walk, but reached on an error.


Andy was playing 3B in the first game of the doubleheader, which gave me a good angle while he was warming up.







Mark Melancon pitched 1.2 innings.



Andy showing off his highlights. ;-)


Jackson's run in the first was the only one scored in the game. Charlotte 0, SWB 1.

Labels: , , , , ,

posted by BubbaFan, 12:44 AM

1 Comments:


Andy's been released.
commented by Anonymous caja, June 15, 2009 11:19 PM  

Add a comment