All Things Bubba

Because how can you not love a baseball player named "Bubba"?

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Wild Thing


So, I checked in on the Charlotte Knights game just now, to see how Andy Phillips was doing. The good news is that he went 2 for 2, and is once again leading the team in batting average. But...only two at-bats? What happened? Was he injured?

Nope. He was ejected in the fifth inning.

After Andy Marte walked, Clippers newcomer Nuiman Romero blooped a double down the left field line plating Gimenez and Marte. Charlotte Manager Chris Chambliss was ejected after arguing that Romero was tagged out at second. Michael Brantley then stroked a two run homer tying the score 4-4. Knights second baseman Andy Phillips was tossed after Brantley's homer, still disputing the previous play.

Andy, who always seemed so laid back as a Yankee, appears to be rather hot-tempered in the minors. I've seen him go nuts at umpires twice - once in a spring training game, and again a couple of weeks ago, in one of the Charlotte-Scranton games. And now this.

I guess the manager's in no position to tell him to cool it, though, since he got ejected, too!

SNY aired the Lehigh Valley IronPigs at Buffalo Bisons game today. I was surprised to see Miguel Cairo at SS. I guess he didn't hit well for Philadelphia, so then sent him down. He's hitting well in AAA. Homered today, and has a .357 average.

Several other former big leaguers played in this game, too. Jason Ellison, Gary Majewski, Javy Valentin, Wily Mo Pena.

Labels:

posted by BubbaFan, 8:10 PM

2 Comments:


I was surprised too when I was listening to a Buffalo Bisons game last week and discovered we were playing against Cairo. Can't believe he's in the minors. I think nothing of seeing Mo Pena playing here. He's been swinging a good bat but I question his ability to catch an off-line throw. The Bisons have had so many errors this season it ain't even funny. I wish we'd go back to being the minor league club for the Indians instead of the Mets. We're terrible!
commented by Anonymous Bonnie, June 01, 2009 7:01 PM  
One of these days I'd like to go to Buffalo and see a Bisons game. I like visiting minor league parks.
commented by Blogger BubbaFan, June 02, 2009 7:14 PM  

Add a comment