All Things Bubba

Because how can you not love a baseball player named "Bubba"?

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Million dollar Melky


Pete Abe reports that Melky Cabrera and the Yankees avoided arbitration. Melky wanted $1.7 million, the Yanks offered $1.2 million. They settled on a $1.4 million deal, plus performance incentives.

Unreal. He was terrible. He got sent down to AAA. There were stories about him and Cano partying at all hours, and it was rumored one reason he was sent down was because they wanted to separate the two and break up the party. I can't believe Melky had the 'nads to even file for arbitration after the year he had. And he gets a million dollar raise.

In other hot stove news...Mike Stanton signed a minor league deal with the Cuba.

And Doug Mientkiewicz, though still unsigned, may return to the Pirates. Apparently, the Pittsburgh fans love him:

Doug Mientkiewicz said he was "blown away" by feedback he has heard and read from Pittsburgh fans urging the Pirates to re-sign him. Had he been received like this anywhere else? "Not this quickly," he said. "And I had a good year, but I didn't do what I thought I was capable of doing. My numbers were very average, at best. I should have had more home runs, more RBIs. But, that said, the way the people there took to me - I'm overwhelmed, floored, whatever words you can use to describe it. They get me. They understand me."

The Pirates front office seems less enthusiastic, but they've expressed some interest.

posted by BubbaFan, 8:48 PM

2 Comments:


Minor league deal with Cuba? I know it seems like he should never pitch in this country again, but I believe you mean with the Cubs. But what an apt word to have justin'd.

Besides wishing the Cubs ill, part of me hopes Stanton makes the team. He's only 74 appearances away from tying Jesse Orosco for the all-time lead. It would be a really busy year for him, but at least it's a possibility.
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, January 21, 2009 4:54 PM  
You know if he makes the team, he's going to pwn the Reds all season. ;-)
commented by Blogger BubbaFan, January 24, 2009 9:56 PM  

Add a comment