All Things Bubba

Because how can you not love a baseball player named "Bubba"?

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Struck out


My employer, being too cheap to pay overtime, asked me to take a day off this week, to make up for the night shift I did last week. I chose Wednesday, since the Scranton Wilkes-Barre Yankees had a day game that day. I'd like to catch one of their day games. The light is better for action photography during the day, and day games are usually less crowded.

The weather forecast looked good when I made the request, but by Wednesday morning, it was looking a little iffy. The forecast was "scattered thunderstorms." That had been the forecast all week, and we hadn't gotten much rain at all. I looked at the radar, and I looked out the window, and it looked clear, so I decided to go for it.

It was a mistake. Scranton is over two hours away, and apparently in an entirely different weather zone. It wasn't raining when I set out, but the closer I got to Pennsylvania, the worse the weather got. By the time I got to Scranton, it was pouring. Like, buckets coming down. I pretty much figured the game would be rained out, but I'd come so far already, I decided to continue. Sure enough...the game was rained out. So I turned around and headed home. The rain was even worse on the way back. I nearly skidded off the road at one point; the highway looked like a river. But as I approached the NY border, it stopped raining. The pavement wasn't even wet, and I realized that it was only raining in Scranton. Figures. What a waste of gas.

I am going to try again next month, though. I think they only have one weekday day game a month, so it's not like there are a lot of chances.

I did stop at a scenic lookout on the way home to take a few photos. It was cloudy, but not raining.


It's an infrared photo - taken using light on wavelenths the human eye can't see. That's why the trees and other vegetation look so pale.

posted by BubbaFan, 11:22 PM

0 Comments:


Add a comment