All Things Bubba

Because how can you not love a baseball player named "Bubba"?

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Gas prices


Andy Phillips got his first hit as a Met last night. He pinch-hit for the pitcher in the 5th, and singled to left. He scored on an error by CFer Rick Ankiel. Unfortunately for the Mets, it would be the only run they scored all night. Final score: Cardinals 7, Mets 1.

I got my tax rebate check yesterday. Not sure what I'm going to do with it. I should probably save it, but I'm tempted to buy a new lens for my camera. I have a good telephoto lens now, but could use a wide-angle. Something that could get the whole stadium in the frame.

Then again, maybe I should just sign it over to ExxonMobil. Gas is $4.25 a gallon around here now. Half a tank for my little Corolla now costs more than filling the tank of my mid-sized Ford Taurus used to. I bought a smaller car, and I'm still paying more for gas.

This article is about how high gas prices are affecting Americans:

Soaring gas prices forcing lifestyle changes across US

Among other things, we're cutting back on sports:

Kelley Blue Book said that of more than 860 people surveyed, 28 percent had stopped spending money on things like coffee from Starbucks as well as DVDs and CDs. An additional 27 percent said they had stopped attending sports events, while 68 percent said they now shopped less.

Forty-four percent said they are taking shorter holidays because of rising gas prices.

Some experts are predicting gasoline will hit $7/gallon. I wonder what that will do to baseball game attendance?

In particular, I wonder how many people will be at spring training next year. Families who drive down to Florida from New York or Ohio or Pennsylvania may think twice with gas prices at nosebleed levels. I suppose there may be more locals there, but they'll have less money to spend on beer and cotton candy...especially the retirees who are so plentiful in Florida (and Arizona). It must be pretty tough to be a on fixed income these days.

I am still hoping to go to spring training again next March, but I guess I better start saving now.

posted by BubbaFan, 6:19 AM

2 Comments:


Andy's been DFA'd
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, July 01, 2008 6:56 PM  
Oh, man. That sucks. Poor Andy.
commented by Blogger BubbaFan, July 01, 2008 7:27 PM  

Add a comment