All Things Bubba

Because how can you not love a baseball player named "Bubba"?

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Owls Mauled By Bulldogs


Things didn't go well for the Rice Owls on Sunday. I only looked in occasionally, but I got an inkling that it wasn't going to be Rice's day when I saw it was 11-0 in the 4th inning. In the end, it was Fresno St. 17, Rice 5.

And I meant to post this link earlier, but forgot. Lance Berkman talks about the first time Rice went to the CWS.

In 1995, several Owls gathered at a friend's apartment to watch the NCAA Tournament selection show, eager to learn where the Owls would land in their first regional appearance. After the Owls were placed in the NCAA South Regional at Baton Rouge, La., an impromptu celebration erupted between the television and the coffee table.

"There were probably 10 or 12 of us watching that selection show that they have on ESPN, and we dog-piled in a guy's living room — we were so excited to just be going to a regional," Astros first baseman and former Rice All-American Lance Berkman said. "Now they're just like, 'All right, (it's) another regional.' "

Bubba was probably one of those in the pile; he and Berkman were teammates at Rice that year.

They showed highlights from Berkman's CWS appearance during the game Sunday. I think I spotted Bubba briefly, wearing #9. I'll have to go back and look more closely. (I have it DVRed.)

Rice plays again this afternoon, against LSU. It's on ESPN2. I'm not quite sure how the CWS works, but I think if they lose again, they go home.

posted by BubbaFan, 6:13 AM

0 Comments:


Add a comment