All Things Bubba

Because how can you not love a baseball player named "Bubba"?

Sunday, October 07, 2007

Torre in the hotseat


This isn't exactly a surprise. I wasn't expecting Torre to be the Yankees manager next season, unless they win the World Series. And even then, it's questionable. I get the feeling that Cashman is calling the shots, a lot more than previously. But now Steinbrenner has laid it on the line:

The Boss to Torre: Win or else

"His job is on the line," the Yankees' owner said in a phone interview. "I think we're paying him a lot of money. He's the highest-paid manager in baseball, so I don't think we'd take him back if we don't win this series."

However, Steinbrenner doesn't want to fire A-Rod:

"I think we'll re-sign him," Steinbrenner said of Rodriguez. "I think he's going to have a good run the rest of the [postseason]. I think he realizes New York is the place to be, the place to play. A lot of this [postseason] is laying on his shoulders, you know, but I think he's up to it."

This could be a sea change for the Yanks. Pete Abe thinks that if Torre goes, Posada and Mo may go, too. He thinks Torre's strength is the way he deals with his superstar players; they love Joe and are very loyal to him.

posted by BubbaFan, 11:23 AM

2 Comments:


Clemens is gone; check yankees.com.
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, October 08, 2007 5:41 PM  
Can't say I'm surprised. Clemens was clearly injured. It's doubtful he'd get another start anyway.

Villone takes his spot. I approve. I'm glad the kids are getting a chance, but Torre needs a veteran or two that he can abuse.
commented by Blogger BubbaFan, October 08, 2007 6:02 PM  

Add a comment