All Things Bubba

Because how can you not love a baseball player named "Bubba"?

Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Roster


A couple of articles in the news today, which hint that Bubba's chances of making the Reds are dimming. From the Dayton Daily News:

"Should we take four left-handed hitting outfielders (Griffey, Adam Dunn, Hamilton, Bubba Crosby)? Not likely," Narron said. "We'll see how it works out. Could happen."

Narron paused and smiled, "Did I really say that?"

I think it's clear Hamilton is making the roster, so if they don't want to carry that many lefties, Bubba's chances aren't great. The Yankees love lefties, but in Cincinnati, the feeling is that GABP favors righties.

Bubba is interviewed in this article at MLB.com:

Crosby got a start in right field Wednesday and went 0-for-3, but he has come into most of the games off the bench.

"I'm playing every day. I feel like I'm getting an opportunity," said Crosby, who is batting .296 in 14 games.

Hopper and Denorfia are right-handed, but, like Hamilton, Crosby is a left-handed hitter who can play all three outfield spots. With Griffey and left fielder Adam Dunn also left-handed, it's unlikely the club would carry four lefty-hitting outfielders.

When Crosby signed with the club as a free agent in November, the Reds had not yet decided to take a chance on Hamilton.

"It definitely makes things more complicated," Crosby said. "I can't control that. I had quite a few offers this offseason, and every offer I had was a situation where I'd have to compete for a job. My biggest goal is to show my versatility and what I can do to help benefit this club. If I can do that -- I feel like I'm doing that -- that's all I can control. I can't really control when they're in the back meetings trying to put lineups together and things like that. Yeah, I'd like to think my name would be in those. That's pretty much up to them."

Unlike Hopper and Denorfia, Crosby has no Minor League options remaining. If the club doesn't feel he'll make it, Crosby hoped it won't prolong that decision for too long.

"If they try to shoot me through the waivers the last days of camp, it's obvious I'd clear because most team's rosters would be full," Crosby said. "But I hope they, at least for my benefit, give me an opportunity to make another club."

Sounds like he's got a good attitude, anyway. No point in worrying about the lineup; he can't do anything about it.

But I wonder if the Reds would cut him early to give him a chance with another club. Their likely starting outfield is rather injury-prone, so you could see them wanting to stash Bubba in Triple-A if they can.

We may find out soon. Many expect the Reds to make some cuts after today's double-header.

posted by BubbaFan, 7:06 AM

0 Comments:


Add a comment