All Things Bubba

Because how can you not love a baseball player named "Bubba"?

Monday, March 26, 2007

Matsuzaka Monday


I'm playing hooky from work today. Actually, I have three days off this week. I had to use them this week or lose them, so I put in for the days when the Reds had day games. Though I'm much less interested in the games, now that Bubba won't be playing in them.

Yeah, I knew it was a risk to wait so long. Blame it on my boss. He didn't want to let me take the time off until it reached the point that I had to use the vacation days or lose them. He hoped that big project we've been working overtime on would be done last week. Of course, the deadline slipped (as I told him it probably would). So now I have three days off in a week when everyone else is running around like a maniac, and we're both wishing I'd taken my vacation time earlier in the month.

Today's Reds game is on ESPN. They're playing the Red Sox and Daisuke Matsuzaka. I wish the Japanese phenom had signed with the Yanks instead, but I'm looking forward to seeing him anyway.

(On the bright side...Lisa is now spared from having to choose between the Red Sox and Bubba.)

According to Trent, the Reds did more roster-trimming today. Bellhorn, Jorgenson, Machado, and Wise were cut. (I'm kind of surprised it took them this long to cut Bellhorn. It was clear some time ago that he wasn't making the team. Maybe they were hoping he'd show something on the field that would make him tradeable.) That makes it 34 active players in camp.

The Cincinnati Post reports that Bubba's locker is empty. His stuff was still in it Saturday evening, according to Trent, so he must have come in early Sunday to clean it out.

Still no news on whether Bubba will report to Louisville or become a free agent. He'll probably take the full 72 hours, just in case a slot opens up somewhere.

And for those who have asked...no, I'm not spending all my time sticking pins in a Krivsky voodoo doll.

Well...maybe one or two.


Of course I'm disappointed that Bubba was cut, but I can't really blame the Reds (or Bubba - he had a very good spring training, and won over a lot of Reds fans). There just wasn't room on the roster for another lefty outfielder, what with Hamilton a Rule 5 and all.

I think the Reds treated Bubba pretty well. They let him go as soon as it was clear Griffey would be ready by opening day, to give him a chance to latch on with another team. And though they apparently decided not to play him once they put him on the waiver wire, they did give him that one pinch-hit at-bat against the Yankees on Thursday. Bubba was always a fan favorite in the Bronx, and I know Yankees fans appreciated that chance to see him.

posted by BubbaFan, 11:31 AM

4 Comments:


OMG! It's The Sweater!!!!!

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, March 26, 2007 6:28 PM  
I'm originally from Ct. and the Yankees have always been my 2nd favorite team. (although I dont mention that often) I've followed them and hence Bubba fan for a while and hoped he would make the team cus I think he brings a lot of positives. Maybe he could learn to switch hit. Anyway, I know you aren't a die-hard Reds fan but was wondering if you were going to stick around this season? You've added a lot to the discussions and hope you could pop in every once in a while at the very least.
commented by Blogger idaho reds fan, March 27, 2007 10:36 AM  
i agree w/ idaho reds. i can admit i've enjoyed the input of a (gulp) yankees fan. mostly because you appreciate bubba's skills; that implies good judgment in all things baseball.
the game was fun to watch yesterday. it looks like the sox got a good pitcher in dice-k, but i felt sorry for poor craig hansen. he fell apart and the reds capitalized.
funny how the commentary was all reds after dice-k left the mound. so the starters are pretty much decided now?
still a (new) reds fan, esp now that bellhorn's gone!
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, March 27, 2007 12:13 PM  
Thanks, folks, you're too kind.

And since Bubba has accepted his assignment to Louisville, I guess I'll be hanging round this season. :-)
commented by Blogger BubbaFan, March 27, 2007 7:44 PM  

Add a comment