All Things Bubba

Because how can you not love a baseball player named "Bubba"?

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Spring is (almost) here


And I'm not talking about Punxsutawney Phil's prediction. Pitchers and catchers report for the Yanks on Tuesday, for the Reds on Saturday.

In honor of spring training, I've re-edited my Bubba highlight video:

The Best of Bubba Crosby [9 Mb, RealMedia]

Here's hoping for many more highlights this season.

One of our anonymous commenters reported yesterday that Bubba has been working out in Arizona the past few weeks. He returned to Houston this weekend for his brother's wedding (congratulations, Tommy!), and will be heading for Sarasota this week.

The Cincinnati Enquirer has posted their projected 25-man roster. They don't see Bubba making the roster. Of course, they were only 20 for 25 last year, and it's usually the bench that's the biggest question mark.

They predict the Reds will carry twelve pitchers and three catchers, with one and a half reserve outfielders (Josh Hamilton and infielder/outfielder Jeff Conine). They think the Reds will keep Hamilton on the roster no matter how bad he is. If that's true, it's bad news for Bubba.

But I find it hard to believe they can afford to do that. Unless they're prepared to write off this season - and I don't believe that. Krivsky reportedly has a "win now" mandate. I know Narron has taken a personal interest in Hamilton, but they're an NL team. They need every roster spot. Most Rule 5 selections end up returned to their teams, and I still think that's Hamilton's likely fate. Unless they can work out a trade with Tampa - which may be the reason for the "we're keeping him on the roster" talk.

I really think they'll need more outfield depth than that roster has. Griffey is often injured, Freel tends to wear down when he has to play every day, and Hamilton is also very injury-prone. Conine is on the wrong side of 40, and I can't see them using him regularly in the outfield - not if the plan is to improve the defense, as Krivsky often proclaims.

If not Bubba, I would think Denorfia or Hopper would make the team as a reserve outfielder...but who knows? Bubba has a split contract, and Denorfia and Hopper still have options left. So I guess they could start them in the minors and call them up when needed.

Labels: ,

posted by BubbaFan, 7:02 PM

6 Comments:


Yay, spring training! I'm so excited. It's been more then five months since we've seen Bubba in action! I can hardly wait!
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, February 12, 2007 6:26 PM  
That's a good video!! I wish Bubba was still a Yankee! My favorite was the walk-off home run.
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, February 12, 2007 6:29 PM  
I've always been a huge fan of Bubba's and my first game ever at Yankee Stadium was that walk-off homer game. It was awesome! And thanks for sharing this video again. It always makes me smile.
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, February 12, 2007 10:27 PM  
Man, it must have really been something to have been at that game in person. It was almost more than I could stand, just watching it on TV.

And not just the walkoff homer. Bubba had a terrific night. He was the Yankees offense that night.

Wang had a fantastic night, too. What a game.
commented by Blogger BubbaFan, February 12, 2007 11:31 PM  
did you put your newly-edited "best of bubba" on youtube?
definitely worthy.
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, February 16, 2007 7:26 PM  
Thanks!

Unfortunately, YouTube has gotten pretty aggressive about copyright lately. I don't understand why MLB goes after fan vids. It's not like they're replacing a product that anyone is selling. They're not losing anything. If anything, they're getting free publicity.
commented by Blogger BubbaFan, February 16, 2007 9:55 PM  

Add a comment