All Things Bubba

Because how can you not love a baseball player named "Bubba"?

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Two out of three ain't bad


May 24, 2006: N.Y. Yankees 8, Boston 6

Yee-hah! Against all odds, the Baby Bombers (AKA as the New York Clippees) have taken two out of three from the Boston Red Sox. Highlight of the game: Farnsy Ks Big Papi with bases loaded in the 8th.

And it was the bottom of the order that came through in this game. Even T-Long had a good game. I just wish Bubba could have been a part of it. I know he'd have contributed.

Today's Bubba flashback is to a year and a half after he was drafted by the Dodgers. He kept a blog at this minor league site:

At the Yard Alumni: Bubba Crosby

Yes, I know there are a lot of imposters out there, but I think this one's legit. Pretty short blog, but articulate and interesting. I was particularly amused at one entry where he's complaining that he does all the cleaning while his roommates think he doesn't do any. I think all of us who have had roommates (in college or whatever) can relate to that! ;-)

I passed through Pittsburgh yesterday, with a friend who is a Pirates fan. She was at Forbes Field when Bill Mazeroski hit the game 7 walkoff homerun that won the World Series for the Pirates in 1960. Back then, even World Series games were played during the day. And they let people in free after the fourth inning. She was a kid at the time, and would run over after school, just in time to get in free. (Now, of course, most parents would be pretty leary of letting their little girls go a sports stadium alone. It really was a different world.)

Forbes Field is no more, replaced by an office building. However, they did save one wall. You can see it in this photo I took:


Click on the image for a larger version, and you can just see the distance label still there.

Bubba reminds me just a bit of Maz ("the Glove"), being a player known for defense. Maybe one day he'll get a chance to hit a walkoff homer in Game 7 of the World Series. Hey, I can dream, can't I?

posted by BubbaFan, 10:46 PM

0 Comments:


Add a comment