All Things Bubba

Because how can you not love a baseball player named "Bubba"?

Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Oswalt vs. Pendleton


PNC Field


After reading about Joe Savery's story, I checked the SWB Yankees schedule to see if the IronPigs were coming to Scranton any time soon. (Admittedly, I don't need much of an excuse to go to a baseball game. ;-) I was in luck; the IronPigs were coming to Scranton at the beginning of August. I picked the August 1 doubleheader. It was a Monday. I had that day off work, and I figured my chances of seeing a relief pitcher were probably best on a doubleheader day.

I almost changed my mind about going that morning. The weather report was terrible. Thunderstorms, high wind, rain, even hail. I had pretty much decided to stay home, when I checked the weather one last time. The forecast had changed for the better - still thunderstorms, but the chances were lower, and they were earlier, before the game, rather than during. Plus, Lance Pendleton was starting for the SWB Yankees. I decided to take the chance.

Since it was Monday, I was expecting plenty of good seats to still be available. I was wrong. I got there early, but there weren't many seats left downstairs; they had opened part of the upper deck, which they usually don't do on weekdays any more. I did manage to get a seat above the visitors' dugout, but it was further out and further up than I usually get.

The lady sitting next to me explained the unusual crowds. Roy Oswalt was starting for the IronPigs - on rehab assignment. Scranton was the Phillies AAA affiliate for years, and it's not that far from Philadelphia, so there were tons of Phillies fans there.

Oswalt started the first game.



Lance Pendleton took the mound for the SWB Yanks.



Oswalt had decent velocity, but he gave up a lot of hits.





Top prospect Jesus Montero hits a RBI single off Oswalt.



Oswalt's line: 6.0 IP, 7 hits, 2 runs (both earned), 2 BB, 4 Ks, 0 HR.

Lance Pendleton held his own against Oswalt.



Pendleton's pickoff move.



Pendleton's line: 5.1 IP, 4 hits, 2 runs (both earned), 2 BB, 5 Ks, 0 HR.



Since I was sitting on the visitors' side, I was surrounded by Phillies fans, many of whom did not know who Pendleton was. They were impressed by his pitching, however. He actually pitched better than Oswalt. People seem especially impressed with his curve.

In the end, the IronPigs won, but neither starting pitcher got the win, as the game went to extras. (Minor league doubleheader games are only seven innings.)

Joe Savery did make an appearance in Game 2. Amusingly, he's listed as an infielder on the IronPigs' roster, though he seems to be used mostly as a relief pitcher.



Savery pitched the 5th inning. When he came in, there were two on, no outs.



Savery gave up a hit, a walk, and struck out one. Unfortunately, the hit was a Jesus Montero RBI double.



Savery got out of the inning, but not before two runs scored (on the double and a fielder's choice).



As for the weather? It was fine. Hot and sunny for the first game, cooler and clear for the second. I did get quite the lightning show on the drive home, but only a spattering of rain. (New York City was not so lucky.)

Labels: ,

posted by BubbaFan, 12:08 AM

1 Comments:


my bubba crosby game used pants as a yankee is now on ebay for sale CHEAP.

but it now price is $50.00

moving and trying to sell alot of items, also listed an autographed baseball of his as well.

nikki007hhh
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, August 04, 2011 9:44 AM  

Add a comment