All Things Bubba

Because how can you not love a baseball player named "Bubba"?

Thursday, December 23, 2010

"Dream come true" for Andy Phillips




Phillips ‘back home' with Crimson Tide

So faced with the proposition of another run at making the roster of a Major League Baseball club or returning home to coach at his alma mater, Phillips chose home.

“For me, being back at a place I love, to come back as a coach at the University of Alabama, it's a dream come true,” Phillips said.

Sounds like this really is Andy's dream job.

“It's kind of crazy,” Phillips said. “I've always enjoyed the teaching aspect of baseball, so I soaked in as much as I could. It always intrigued me. But I always said I didn't want to get in coaching just to be coaching. I wanted to be at Alabama. Now it looks like I called my shot. I always said that, knowing the possibility was slim.”

Sounds like Andy was the coach's dream assistant coach, too. He's the one who recruited Andy as a player, and he was afraid that as an active player, Andy wouldn't be interested in coaching.

Hope it works out for him.

Also interesting...Andy worked out for the Red Sox last week. Boy, that would have been weird, seeing him a Red Sock. Though I suppose he would have played mostly in Pawtucket, if they signed him.

Labels:

posted by BubbaFan, 9:13 PM

2 Comments:


Happy for Andy too, but I wish he would have given Pro Ball in 'merica one more shot, even if for the Red Sox.
commented by Blogger The ?Que Pasa? Kid, January 02, 2011 4:27 PM  
Yeah, I'd have liked to see him play again, if only in AAA. I would definitely have gone to the game when Pawtucket played Scranton. Maybe even gone to Pawtucket.
commented by Blogger BubbaFan, January 06, 2011 5:21 PM  

Add a comment