All Things Bubba

Because how can you not love a baseball player named "Bubba"?

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Report: Bubba Crosby has retired


From Pete Abe (hat tip to Jim):

Former Yankee Chuck Knoblauch was on the field for batting practice seeing some of his old teammates. Bubba Crosby, who has retired, was here yesterday. They both live in the Houston area.

I'm disappointed, but not terribly surprised. I've posted before about how the odds for a pro baseball player coming back from shoulder surgery aren't good. And it's clear the game has changed. A lot of players with longer track records than Bubba are struggling to find jobs in the current market.

It's a difficult life, and I don't blame Bubba if he's had enough. But...I'm not entirely giving up, either. A lot of players retire, then decide to give it another try. Maybe he'll change his mind.

Even if his playing days are really done, he might still have a career in baseball, as a scout, coach, etc.

Whatever he does, I wish him the very best. He gave such a spark to the Yankees, and watching him play gave me a lot of joy over the years. Thank you, Bubba. Best of luck in the future. You'll always be my favorite player.


posted by BubbaFan, 10:55 PM

6 Comments:


a sad day..
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, June 16, 2008 4:36 AM  
Honestly, this makes me a lot sadder than Tim Russert.
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, June 16, 2008 12:43 PM  
Bubba I am your biggest fan but baseball is your heart why did you retire.
commented by Blogger Adam Ratner, June 16, 2008 5:41 PM  
Thanks for dropping by, Brendan. Appreciate the sympathy.

Adam, I'm still hoping Bubba will change his mind.
commented by Blogger BubbaFan, June 16, 2008 5:46 PM  
Yesterday disappears way too fast. We need to root extra hard on Andy, Bronson to make it back, Kevin Thompson, all our old Yankee friends.
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, June 17, 2008 4:25 AM  
Bubba! Girardi loves you! Call him and get your ass out on the field!!!
Christ, Melky is hitting .245 and you're retired? Come on! Bring the spark back! I MISS you dude!
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, July 14, 2008 10:59 AM  

Add a comment