All Things Bubba

Because how can you not love a baseball player named "Bubba"?

Monday, January 14, 2008

I Hate Mondays


Sigh. The wrong Manning won this weekend, and now both my football pool tickets are worthless. Worse, all the Giants and Packers fans I know have been ragging on me because my Cowboys lost. My e-mail box filled up with taunting messages seconds after the game ended. This morning at work, the smokers hanging out under the crabapple tree by the front door starting yelling at me as soon as I came in earshot. The nice security guard at the desk in the lobby, who is my brother in arms when it comes to the Yankees, is a diehard Giants fan and couldn't resist rubbing it in. Everyone from the woman who sits in the next cubicle to my boss had to get their digs in. I don't get it. I'm a nice person. When my team wins, I don't gloat. (Much. ;-)

Darned Tony Romo broke my heart again. I've been avoiding the sports news ever since. However, I did peek in at Baseball America's minor league transaction report. It usually goes up Monday afternoon. I was hoping there would be news about Bubba to distract me from yesterday's disaster, but no such luck. A lot of players were released, but not that many were signed. Though Aaron Herr, a Louisville Bat infielder last year, was picked up by the Cleveland Indians.

There's not that much trading going on at all, really. Maybe they're still gearing up from the holidays. Or maybe everyone's waiting to see where Santana lands.

Speaking of which, ESPN reports that the Yankees have pulled their offer for Santana off the table:

For the second time this offseason, the Yankees have pulled their Phil Hughes-centered trade offer for Johan Santana off the table.

The Yankees, then, will not restart trade talks with the Twins unless Hank Steinbrenner has another change of heart, a baseball official with knowledge of the talks told 1050 ESPN Radio's Andrew Marchand.

I dunno. Was the offer ever off the table in the first place? I still think it's all posturing.

posted by BubbaFan, 9:16 PM

5 Comments:


Hopefully Bubba gets a minor league deal at least.
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, January 14, 2008 10:53 PM  
I'm sure he's gotten offers for at least a minor league deal. My guess is he's hoping for something better, or waiting to find a team where he has a good chance of making the roster. (A lot of people wondered why Andy Phillips chose the Reds. Not that there's anything wrong with the Reds, but they don't really need infielders. Maybe he just took the first offer he got.)

I have a feeling Bubba regretted choosing the Reds so quickly last year. They have too many lefties, and it might not have occurred to him until it was too late. Since there's no such thing as too many lefties with the Yankees.
commented by Blogger BubbaFan, January 14, 2008 11:50 PM  
Wow! A whole entire blog about Bubba! I name you the official Bubbafan.
I grew up in little league with him. He's a great player!
~The Bargain Shopper Lady
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, January 15, 2008 9:10 AM  
Welcome, Shopper Lady. You'll have to tell us what Bubba was like in Little League sometime. :-)
commented by Blogger BubbaFan, January 15, 2008 5:36 PM  
I set the over/under on Bubba LL homers at 250.
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, January 15, 2008 7:20 PM  

Add a comment