All Things Bubba

Because how can you not love a baseball player named "Bubba"?

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Bubba, what hath thou wrought?


Bubba Crosby, looking very un-Yankee-like


Well, I was thrilled this morning to see this article at the Cincinnati Post:

Yankees refugee Crosby likes camaraderie on Reds

I thought it was a great interview, and an interesting glimpse into the Yankees clubhouse. I should have known.

I didn't have time to blog about it this morning; had to head for the salt mines. By the time I got home this evening, the spit had hit the fan. Peter Abraham wrote it up as Hall of Famer Bubba Crosby rips Yankees. (What is it with Peter Abraham, anyway? I mostly enjoy his blog, but he really seems to have it in for Bubba. When Bubba was DFA'd by the Yankees, Peter's story was easily the most negative.)

Anyway, Yankees blogs and message boards are now buzzing with this story. And not in a good way. There are a few rational voices, pointing out that Bubba really didn't say anything all that bad, but they're being drowned out.

Other ex-Yankees have been far more critical than Bubba was, and I don't remember the reaction being this vitriolic. He may have hit a nerve, what with the big story in Tampa being A-Rod and Jeter's friendship (or lack thereof). Either that, or it's just a slow news day. (At least WasWatching is still in Bubba's corner.)

Poor Bubba. He probably didn't realize this article would be of such interest in NY. I hope it proves to be a tempest in a teacup, or he'll be booed by Yankees fans when the Reds come to Legends Field.

Anyway, I liked the article. It sounds very much like the Yankees I know. They're an older team, known for their corporate culture. I think that's all Bubba meant. He wasn't necessarily referring to the A-Rod/Jeter thing, or anything along those lines.

As for what he said about not getting a chance to hit...it was 100% true. He's gotten 250 at-bats in the last four seasons. Anyone's average would suffer in that situation.

The part about base stealing was interesting, too. He was 7 for 7 in stolen in bases in the couple of weeks he was with the Clippers last season; I wondered why he didn't steal more often with the Yanks.

The photo is very nice. The first pic I've seen of him in Reds gear (aside from the Redsfest photo at Red Hot Mama).

Looks like Bubba is growing some facial fuzz, as in his Dodger days. Eh. The longer hair is okay, but I hope he shaves before picture day.

posted by BubbaFan, 6:42 PM

3 Comments:


Poor Bubba. He probably didn't realize this article would be of such interest in NY.

I hate to say this, because I'm a huge Bubba fan and all (obviously if this site is Top 2 of my favorites, LOL) but he'd have to be pretty stupid not to realize that. It's the NY media. It will and can eat you alive.

What I think is he figures he's not going to be getting a Bubba Crosby Yankee Day and he just figured "eh, why the hell not? It's just the truth afterall" .... but like you said in Peter Abraham's blog, some of his words were taken out of context or whatever.

And in a total girl moment now, wow @ Bubba's un-Yankee self. That is niiiice, LOL. Very Chuck Knoblauch-ish 5 o'clock shadow going on there.
commented by Blogger DDP, February 21, 2007 11:38 PM  
I dunno...that bit Trent left out of the article but posted to his blog makes it clear that Bubba was not burning his bridges with the Yankees. (You never know, after all. He could end up there again one day.)

And I confess, I'm surprised that there's so much interest. I know the NY media will eat you alive, but I guess I figured they'd be so busy with A-Rod, Jeter, Bernie, Mo, Sheff, etc., they wouldn't care what was going on in Cincy.
commented by Blogger BubbaFan, February 22, 2007 12:39 AM  
mmm pretty pic!
stubble is very nice, but i don't think i like the full beard/goatee thing on bubba.
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, February 22, 2007 7:19 AM  

Add a comment